Client: Holmwood House
Product: Historic 19th Century Blinds
Holmwood House is the finest and most elaborate residential villa designed by Scottish architect Alexander “Greek” Thomson. It is also rare in retaining much of its interior decor, and being open to the public. The villa is located at 61-63 Netherlee Road, Cathcart on the southern suburbs of Glasgow.
Holmwood was constructed for James Couper, a paper manufacturer in 1857-1858. Couper owned the Millholm paper mill in the valley of the White Water of Cart immediately below the villa.
The original blinds in the villa were manufactured by Tidmarsh back in the 1800’s and therefore it was inherent that they would ask us to design and replicate the blinds. The blinds were painted wooden venetians with pull cord operation, but no metal headrail was used, only wooden batons and old fashioned pulleys, we set about the task with great enthusiasm and the end result was spectacular.
A few obstacles, the large colony of Bats delayed some of the installation as preservation of the area they inhabited was imperative.