It is unbelievably hot in the UK right now, and it doesn’t seem to be cooling down anytime soon! Earlier this week we took a look at how Tidmarsh Blinds can help you reduce the heat in your home by up to 18°c! Today we’re going to give you some more tips on staying cool in the heatwave. Remember, you can always get in touch for a free quote to help keep your home cool.
What Blind is Best for Keeping Cool?
One of the best ways to keep rooms cool is by keeping your blinds and windows closed in the morning, preventing the hot sunlight from entering the room. The most practical way to do this is to fit blinds or curtains that block the light from entering – and we have a wide range of solutions for you.
Lutron Triathlon Blinds
The most fashionable and affordable motorised blind system available today, Triathlon blinds are available from Tidmarsh in both roller blinds and insulating honeycomb blind styles. We offer a wide variety of beautiful colours, fabrics and textures so you can be sure your blind will match your home perfectly. The ultimate in affordable luxury, Triathlon Blinds can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button on your remote, phone or even your smart watch. We can set up a complete home system for you so that these blinds will react to the temperature and sunlight outside, opening and closing at optimal times of the day to keep your home and you as cool as possible. In addition, all of the insulated honeycomb blind fabrics have a white backing that acts as a reflector, adding yet another way of keeping your space cool and comfortable.
Perfect Fit Blinds
Perfect Fit is a remarkable innovation whereby using a simple snap-fit operation, the blind is fitted neatly and snugly into the window frame. This means you have complete coverage when closed, ensuring no hot sunlight can come into the room. We have an extensive range of cloths to choose from, with many offering SPC (Solar Protective Coating) or ASC (Advance Solar Control) coating on the reverse, which allows for higher reflection of solar heat and light. The Perfect Fit style is a fantastic option for keeping your rooms and home cool, but also allows you to retain internal heat in the winter and summer months, helping to keep your energy bills down all year round.
Does Blind Fit Matter?
Whatever blind you decide to buy, make sure that they’re fitted professionally and properly. For the blinds to actually keep the heat outside your rooms, they must fit your windows correctly. They should sit as close to the glass as possible, and overlap the window itself slightly. Any gaps will allow heat to enter the room, which reduces the effectiveness of your blinds in keeping the room cool.
For greater energy efficiency, we recommend choosing blinds that are highly reflective on one side – for example white, and heat absorbing on the other – for example, a rich, dark colour. These blinds will be able to be reserved between Summer and Winter to keep the rooms cool in the summer months, and help conserve the heat when it starts to get chillier.
Short Term Tips for Staying Cool
- Turn off your electrical appliances and gadgets if you’re not using them. Even a television can generate a lot of heat, so stick to the essentials. Small things like charging your phone can even produce heat, so if possible don’t leave them on charge over night when it’s most important to keep your cool.
- Make the most of natural light and use non heat producing, energy efficient lighting when you can’t – our Lutron Homeworks system is a great example of this. Traditional bulbs will give off heat when used and contribute to the warmth of your room.
- Try not to use the oven if possible – it’s the perfect time of year to make the most of the sunny weather and have an outdoor barbecue! Plus that gives you the added bonus of less washing up.
- Take a hint from the ancient Egyptians – if you’re struggling to sleep at night, dampen your top sheet to keep your cool through the night. You can also fold up your top sheet or duvet cover and leave in the freezer for a few hours to cool down before bed – but make sure you seal it in a sandwich bag to keep it clean!
- Stay hydrated – in this heat it’s very easy to become dehydrated. Make sure you’re drinking enough cool water to keep hydrated and regulate your internal cooling system.
We hope you’ve found these tips useful. As always, if you’d like a free quote or more information on how we can help you keep your home cool, don’t hesitate to get in touch.